Helpful Moving Tips
Book the movers. You can choose to have the movers pack everything, or just the breakables, or you can pack yourself. It’s a good idea to obtain estimates from several different companies.
Give necessary written notice to your landlord and make arrangements for the return of any monies you have on deposit, if you rent your old home.Make arrangements for the gas and electric utilities, water softener, telephone and cable TV to be connected on the day the sale closes. Dispose safely of all flammable liquids as it is illegal for movers to carry them.
- Get "Change of Address" cards from the post office and send out well before moving day.
- Have the post office forward your mail to your new address.
- Cancel any contracted services and pre-authorized cheques.
- Inform gardening, dry cleaning, garbage pick-up, newspapers, magazines, diaper and other home services. Arrange for service at your new address.
- Obtain a letter of introduction from your current branch to help establish new accounts. Transfer trust or bank accounts and securities.
- Cancel or transfer social, athletic, civic, religious or business affiliations and memberships.
- Arrange for transfer of medical, dental, prescription and optical records.
- Change the address on your driver’s license(s) effective the day of the move.
- Collect all items out for cleaning, repair or storage. e.g. fur coats, dry cleaning.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of perishables, such as plants.
- Make special arrangements for the moving of your pets.
You maybe need to change these address.
- Dry Cleaner
- Lawn Service
- Bank/Finance Companies
- Credit Card Companies
- Laundry Service
- Auto Finance Company
- Health Club
- Sewer District
- Fuel (Oil/Propane)
- Sewer District
- Department of Motor Vehicles
- Social Security Administration
- Tax Bureaus
- City/County Tax Assessor
- Veterans Administration
- Insurance Agency
- Professional Journals